Setting America's Agenda
Here’s my pipe dream list of things the Democrats ought to do:
1. Only approve judges who recognize a personal, unrestricted right to abortion, as well as a personal right to die. By holding those positions, these judges will have demonstrated respect for the crucial principle of bodily sovereignty.
2. Move forward in recognizing gay marriage at the federal level. Civil unions are not an acceptable alternative; separate but equal is a farce because separate inherently means unequal. Only outright gay marriage will do.
3. Eliminate the death penalty at the federal level, and eliminate “harsh interrogation techniques” employed against suspected enemies of the state. Torture is not tolerable, ever.
4. Eliminate laws regarding personal, adult drug use.
5. Eliminate laws regarding personal, adult, consensual sexual activity.
6. Eliminate the FCC’s ability to regulate for “indecency” and “obscenity,” as those concepts merely are a matter of personal taste.
8. Eliminate any connection between Church and State. Worship centers should pay taxes just like every other institution. Worship centers should not receive any federal funding under any circumstances, including school supplies for parochial schools.
9. Abolish the warrant-less domestic surveillance program, and reconsider the Patriot Act in the light of protecting civil liberties.
10. Expand federal funding of stem cell research, and fund human cloning research, as well.